Hi everyone - new here

Introduce your self to the PSForever community! Tell us your story.
MasterChief096

Hi everyone - new here

Postby MasterChief096 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:46 am

For anyone who remembers, I went by MasterChief096 on Emerald, later Gemini, led The Fighting 27th until the game died with PS2's release.

I remember hearing about this project months and months ago. I've been really busy (graduating college in the next 10 weeks) so I stopped visiting PSU, fell behind on PlanetSide news, etc. Used to be one of the most vocal hardliners for PlanetSide's preservation in the face of PS2s release.

Anyways, I don't foresee having time in the next 10 weeks to help with the project (graduation, and figuring out what to do from there is priority), but afterward, I certainly might be able to help out. What can non-coders do to help this project? Is there any task that requires coding but is easy to learn?

Also, I've had a running idea for years now, maybe since 2012 or 2013 when I started to have doubts about the future of PlanetSide. The idea is to create a sort of archive website of PlanetSide 1 media - videos, wallpapers, custom artwork/signatures, news articles about the game, anything and everything that was every created and had relation to PlanetSide 1 would be compiled and listed on this website so that we would always have it as a resource, for nostalgia purposes. It would have links to as many possible PlanetSide videos as could be hunted down on YouTube, etc. Does this sound like an interesting idea to you guys? If so, I will definitely begin work on that after graduation as well.

Anyways, glad to contact the PlanetSide community again, even if its small. I think about this game a lot, and sometimes the nostalgia becomes so overwhelming I have to watch videos for an hour or two to take care of it lol.

Thanks,

Chief
XxXDEATHKILLXxX
Global Moderator

Re: Hi everyone - new here

Postby XxXDEATHKILLXxX » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:30 am

Hello and welcome to the forums!

On the topic of the preservation website, I had that idea a few months ago as well. I already have a full backup of PlanetSide IdeaLab on my hard somewhere, or at least I think I do. Tell me if you ever get started on this, I would be happy to help out.
For land. For power. Forever.

TR: XxXDEATHKILLXxX | BR 21 CR 2
NC: DEATHKILLNC | BR 11 CR 0
VS: DEATHKILLVS | BR 9 CR 1
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Welcome to PSForever! I've saw you in game as a greenie many times back in the day.

Glad to have a dedicated fan around. We're currently doing a lot of coding to start building up a game infrastructure, but you can definitely help by capturing packets and adding your suggestions for the project. We've been capturing packets for "insurance" in case the planetside game server goes down (which we assume could be at any moment). Also it allows us to easily reverse engineer packets, which is quite complicated as it is.

If capturing packets interests you, you can start by downloading the GameLauncher and GameLogger from here

http://files.psforever.net/releases/too ... .0.0.1.zip
http://files.psforever.net/releases/too ... .0.0.4.zip

No pressure though. We already have a ton of packets, but more can't hurt.
If you need more direction, let me know. I've been meaning to make a guide on this...
[ PSForever admin and developer ]
PSForever Code | Capturing Packets | Community Discord
MasterChief096

Postby MasterChief096 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks for the responses, I'll be in touch in the coming weeks.
neonlazer

Postby neonlazer » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:41 pm

MasterChief096 wrote:For anyone who remembers, I went by MasterChief096 on Emerald, later Gemini, led The Fighting 27th until the game died with PS2's release.

I remember hearing about this project months and months ago. I've been really busy (graduating college in the next 10 weeks) so I stopped visiting PSU, fell behind on PlanetSide news, etc. Used to be one of the most vocal hardliners for PlanetSide's preservation in the face of PS2s release.

Anyways, I don't foresee having time in the next 10 weeks to help with the project (graduation, and figuring out what to do from there is priority), but afterward, I certainly might be able to help out. What can non-coders do to help this project? Is there any task that requires coding but is easy to learn?

Also, I've had a running idea for years now, maybe since 2012 or 2013 when I started to have doubts about the future of PlanetSide. The idea is to create a sort of archive website of PlanetSide 1 media - videos, wallpapers, custom artwork/signatures, news articles about the game, anything and everything that was every created and had relation to PlanetSide 1 would be compiled and listed on this website so that we would always have it as a resource, for nostalgia purposes. It would have links to as many possible PlanetSide videos as could be hunted down on YouTube, etc. Does this sound like an interesting idea to you guys? If so, I will definitely begin work on that after graduation as well.

Anyways, glad to contact the PlanetSide community again, even if its small. I think about this game a lot, and sometimes the nostalgia becomes so overwhelming I have to watch videos for an hour or two to take care of it lol.

Thanks,

Chief

Well look who showed up! Sup punk!

Wierdly, I played the game last night and realized I still had my "Chief is a noob!" preset chat text. Loolz
SArais

Postby SArais » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:30 am

It would be nice to have an optional visual overhaul mod, optionally. See if anyone can make higher-poly models and new textures without changing any of the design. Smooth out the rough edges here and there, pop detail in places out more.

It's funny how the PS2 pulsar we were teased was nothing like the end product

neonlazer

Postby neonlazer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:27 pm

SArais wrote:It would be nice to have an optional visual overhaul mod, optionally. See if anyone can make higher-poly models and new textures without changing any of the design. Smooth out the rough edges here and there, pop detail in places out more.

It's funny how the PS2 pulsar we were teased was nothing like the end product

Do note that the engine in the original Planetside is VERY old.(in computer years) Even if it was possible to improve graphics, it would slow down the engine and cause issues I am sure. PS1 is the ONLY game where I actually enjoy the dated graphics. No fancy non-sense!
SArais

Postby SArais » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:27 pm

see: optional
neonlazer

Postby neonlazer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:51 pm

SArais wrote:see: optional

:D

I know MANY will call for a visual upgrade. I would not blame them. Lol

Return to “Introductions”