Ran Into an Interesting Error Last Night

Discuss general PSForever topics here.
FateJH

Ran Into an Interesting Error Last Night

Postby FateJH » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:56 am

I would have taken a screenshot but nothing was refreshing properly anymore.

I was working on getting a character to BR6 so I could capture for the "Implants" training mission and was in the middle of Gating a Mosquito to Amerish to fill out the remainder of the experience. Having run out of NTU to fill, I reminded that I hadn't yet gotten the Monolith experience with this test character, and that was what i was going to do. After changing zones, but before Amerish actually loaded, this error message popped up and the game crashed. (The error, fortunately, only crashed the game this one time; when I logged back in asap, my Mossie was waiting in the proper Amerish Warpgate.)

Code: Select all

FATAL ERROR: Bad Effect OPCODE
File: K:\planetside\dev\shunyuan\3.15\Lib\game_engine\eff.cpp Line 3402

As neither the file nor the drive exist on my computer, that means someone actually hard coded a local file path into the error message.

These Russian threads found the same file with under a different file path (https://www.google.com/search?q=file+eff.cpp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=file+planetside+%22eff.cpp%22) and a couple of Chinese websites hosted error message screenshots that don't exist anymore (https://www.google.com/search?q=file+eff.cpp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=planetside+shunyuan). Checking the alternate file path brings up a closed forum of the Azure Twilight outfit fourms to which i would not get access without asking special permission. I can't find anything else in regards to this error. The alternate file path is:

Code: Select all

C:\BANDIT\Release_3.11\Lib\game_engine\eff.cpp Line 3402

The Russian threads, probably tongue in cheek, suggest cheaters as the cause of the error; but, I was the only person online at the time and I was only using the GameLogger (detached).
The Chinese page suggest one Shunyuan Chou - who appears to be a software developer - but the official credits for the game do not list his name and I can't find anything about the suggested person before 2010 or after 2013 online. He appears to have focused on emulation-themed projects.

Does anyone with a longer PlanetSide history than the start of its F2P period have information about the error? :geek:
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0

Return to “Discussion”