Balance Discussion Thread

What features would you like to see in PSForever?
KingFeraligatr

Balance Discussion Thread

Postby KingFeraligatr » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:20 pm

This is my big thread to detail all the balance and gameplay changes I think should go into the game if we get the emulator working. This will be done over time as I'm super lazy. Also, this thread may show a NC bias as I think we're the faction with the overall worst equipment and vehicles. Feel free to debate and discuss with me and others.

New Conglomerate changes:
    General:
      Buff average intelligence of players.
    Weapons:
      MAG Scatter pistol:
        I dunno, this gun is so bad and pointless it needs a rework. That or make it CP(Common Pool) and give the NC a new ES pistol.
      Jackhammer:
        Increase effective range a bit.
        Slightly increase damage.
      Gauss:
        Decrease COF and COF bloom.
        Increase rounds per clip from 30 to 35 OR increase damage.
      Phoenix:
        Increase ammo box size from 9 rockets to at least 10 rockets.
        Buff guided rocket range OR buff rocket speed OR buff rocket damage.
    Vehicles:
      Vanguard:
        Increase 150mm ammo box size from 50 to 55, 60, 65, 70, OR 75.
        Possibly increase 150mm cannon damage.
      Thunderer:
        Increase ammo box size from 15 rounds to 20 OR 25 rounds.
      Enforcer:
        Increase ammo box size from 50 rockets to 55 OR 60 rockets.
        Slightly increase rocket damage.
    MAXes:
      NC MAX general:
        Increase shield recharge rate.
        Buff ammo box sizes.
      Scattercanon MAX:
      Falcon MAX:
        Decrease COF bloom.
      Sparrow MAX:
        Increase rocket life OR increase rocket speed.
        Maybe speed up rocket target acquisition.
        Maybe slightly increase damage.

Terran Republic changes:
    Weapons:
      Mini Chaingun:
        Increase general COF
        Make COF bloom happen earlier and make it bloom more.
      Cycler:
        Decrease COF OR slightly increase damage.
    Vehicles:

MAXes:
      TR MAXes general:
        Perhaps speed up anchoring and deanchoring.

Vanu Sovereignty Changes:
    Weapons:

Vehicles:
      Magrider:
        Increase main rail beam's damage against infantry.
    MAXes:
      VS MAXes general:
        Perhaps buff the jump jets in some way.

Common Pool/General Changes:
    Weapons:
      Shotgun Ammo Box:
        Increase amount of shells from 16 to 18.
      Suppressor:
        Increase damage.
      Scorpion:
        Increase damage, rocket speed, and bomblet number.
      Heavy Scout Rifle:
        Increase damage (can kill a Rexo in 3-4 shots now).
    Vehicles:
      Aircraft in general:
        Decrease infantry farming potential.
      BFRs in general:
        VR only for now.
      Mosquito:
        Reduce armor.
      Wasp:
        Reduce armor.
      Reaver:
        Reduce armor.
      Skyguard:
        Slightly increase armor.
        No Tech Plant benefit needed.
      Lodestar:
        Let it carry two vehicles.
      Galaxy Gunship:
        VR only for now.
    MAXes:
    Other Armor:
      Reinforced Exo-Suit:
        Only can carry one heavy weapon at a time now. As in you can't have two heavy guns holstered at the same time (like a Jackhammer an Phoenix). The slot is now a small weapon slot (like a Gauss or Suppressor). Other inventory space not affected.
      Infiltration Suit:
        Possibly give it two pistol holsters. Other inventory space not affected.
    Equipment:
      T-REK
        Increase speed on shot virus.

Gameplay Changes:
    Terms of Service awards:
      No more free Rexo.
      HSR and Scorpion unlocked after one year TOS. Dragon unlocked after 2 years TOS.
    People respawn in Agile now with a decent loadout to reduce spawn camping ease and to help newbies. PJs are just there.
    Generator rooms get a slight painfield.
    BR 20 is the max BR again. BR 19 unlocks facial customization. BR 20 unlocks final uniform upgrade. All in addition to the extra cert points.
    Certifications:
      Hacking (cert):
        Reduce cost to 2 points.
      Expert Hacking:
        Decrease time it takes to boost painfields.
The King of Feraligatrs and the Typo Master.
BR 30, CR 3 NC, Gemini
RIP PS1. Long live PSForever.
Fortinbras

Re: King Feraligatr's Big Balance and Gameplay Change Thread

Postby Fortinbras » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm sorry but these ideas are absurd. You basically want to scrap all damage, cof, rof, and armor values and rework them (and other core game mechanics) to something completely new based on what you think is fair. Right now most of the guns are fairly balanced (some not). Of course there are some changes that need to be made, but for the most part every gun is usable if you practice enough. Also, I'd like to remind you that all of these guns have been worked on since 2004 and completely changing their values will undoubtedly cause even more balancing issues.
docdic

Postby docdic » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Gotta agree to Fortinbras on that one king.
While i can see the reason for buffing/nerfing spefic things, they may not really turn out for the best.
For instance the JH and MCG are fine as it is, yeah i know where you come from with saying that mcg is OP but have you taken into account on the ranges you are encountering people who have one? Knowing you run around with a JH or a sweeper most of the time, you are going to have a bad time fighting someone with a mcg while they are at a longer range then you. but you can just as easily take someone with a JH at point blank, even if they have a MCG (well unless you have shit aim).

As for you saying the gauss needs buff on the COF side, than all i can really say is that you are not supposed to spray and pray. you need to burst fire that thing to maintain a good COF.

and as for the VS max, just no. we have enough vs maxspam as it is.

the suggested cert changes are a little too much. yeah i can see it working if it is completely reworked so that newer players can get the things they need but not that fast.
KingFeraligatr

Postby KingFeraligatr » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:26 pm

For my balance changes, I see the NC as too underpowered and behind the other factions in practically every area that we need a balance pass to buff us up. We have low clips sizes, low ROF, high COF, short range, low ammo, etc. and for what? Only slightly more damage than the other factions? Add to this the fact that the average NC player is worse than an average VS/TR player, and you got one fucked up faction. I'm tired of us having bad gear and vehicles that is almost worse than their TR/VS equivalents. I'm tired of this almost nonexistent "high damage" trait being an excuse for keeping our stuff crappy and making it all "shawtgawnz". I'm tired of feeling that the other factions have gear that's good in any situation while the NC's gear is only really competitive in close range, which they're not even good at. I'm not adverse to helping the other factions as well, but this NC situation where the NC's gear isn't really competitive comparatively ends.

And the amount of certs you get at the end with my changes is the same that you have at BR 20. I thought we wanted to remove BR 40 and the like?

I have so much to vent about this game that typing it all out would take forever. I can do it over voice chat, but that's it. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
BR 30, CR 3 NC, Gemini
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:12 pm

I dont know. I've been ganked by NC in close quarters way too many times to think that the weapons need a buff. I do think the shotgun theme is a bit weird to carry through the entire empire. Would be tough to make new content for the game.
[ PSForever admin and developer ]
PSForever Code | Capturing Packets | Community Discord
docdic

Postby docdic » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:47 pm

also made this for you king about a year ago
Fortinbras

Postby Fortinbras » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:56 pm

KingFeraligatr wrote: Add to this the fact that the average NC player is worse than an average VS/TR player.

This is not true at all, but you did just answer your own question. Every empire plays differently and you have to be smart about that. Of course if you charge a MCG or lasher at medium range with a JH you'll get your ass handed to you. You have to play the enemy into your advantage, which would be CQC as the NC. JH can 3 shot a rexo point blank in a matter of seconds which no other gun can do. A lot of people just don't understand the gun mechanics in PS1 and complain about overpowered guns when they lose to people who have been playing PS1 FOR MANY YEARS CONSECUTIVELY (yes, consecutively, not the "I played PS1 for a month in 2005 i'm a veteran" bullshit). JH is by far the easiest gun to master and rewards fast, but MCG is the best gun and hard to master.

P.S. almost every fight nowadays is CQC. NC have nothing to complain about, in fact, logging onto NC is how I relieve the stress of playing TR with a bunch of new players who get annihilated by Jackhammers.
Degrado

Postby Degrado » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 pm

I disagree with almost all of your balance changes except for one :P (you know which one I'm talking about). "Jackhammer: Increase effective range a bit. Slighty increase damage" The JH is a shotgun, it is supposed to be effective at CQC. Also buff the damage? No! JH 2 shots agiles and 3 shots REXOs!
KingFeraligatr

Postby KingFeraligatr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:33 pm

Degrado wrote:I disagree with almost all of your balance changes except for one :P (you know which one I'm talking about). "Jackhammer: Increase effective range a bit. Slighty increase damage" The JH is a shotgun, it is supposed to be effective at CQC. Also buff the damage? No! JH 2 shots agiles and 3 shots REXOs!

No, I don't know which balance change of mine you agree with. Also, I find the JH subpar in comparison overall to the MCG or Lasher. It's not great at killing even up close (upwards 4+ shots to kill a Rexo in point blank! I've seen it happen all the time.), has hit detection issues, has way too low ammo, etc. It's very meh and doesn't feel like the 4 certs for something that feels like an oversized and modified Sweeper.
BR 30, CR 3 NC, Gemini
docdic

Postby docdic » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:28 pm

KingFeraligatr wrote:No, I don't know which balance change of mine you agree with.

He is referring to the NC intelligence buff

KingFeraligatr wrote: Also, I find the JH subpar in comparison overall to the MCG or Lasher. It's not great at killing even up close (upwards 4+ shots to kill a Rexo in point blank! I've seen it happen all the time.), has hit detection issues, has way too low ammo, etc. It's very meh and doesn't feel like the 4 certs for something that feels like an oversized and modified Sweeper.

I think most of those issues you encounter with the JH can be fixed by getting better at the game. You allways tell me how much you suck in the /tell chat, so how about fixing several problems and try harder at being "good".

But have you ever though that the JH is not exactly for you playstyle? I mean the JH has a completely different play style attributed to it. For instance in a tower fight you are going to be doing the most damage when you be a irritating twat with 3rd person corner peaking and engaging the enemy when they are not expecting a JH.

Return to “Ideas”