Balance Discussion Thread

What features would you like to see in PSForever?
Ryathorz

Re: Balance Discussion Thread

Postby Ryathorz » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:19 pm

p0intman wrote:What I WOULD like to see is raising the flight ceiling above 400m.
The flight ceiling in general is a bit odd as there are places where aircraft are forced relatively low and others where AA weapons become increasingly ineffectual - flak can reach 500m but sparrows and starfires don't lock beyond 300, there are some bases where libs can hover directly overhead and can only be hit by flak and aircraft.
Naeadil
Global Moderator

Postby Naeadil » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 pm

A flight ceiling increase would probably be good for the reasons mentioned, but again the problem is having to balance everything to go along with it.

I think it would be cool to work on our own custom version of "PlanetSide Next" using PlanetSide 1 as a base after we get a working PlanetSide 1 Emulator.
- Nick
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:35 pm

See what I mean ppl? Brainstorming. I started a discussion on a change that I knew would be a bad idea, but ppl ended up bringing up flight ceiling. Perfect example of how maybe a bad idea can bring up better ones.

So here's my thought on the flight ceiling- increase it so that aircraft have a place where aa is impossible on every map. This would allow tactical gameplay when approaching an attack run or galaxy drop.
The Ultimate Annihilation of Hackers Is Inevitable
Naeadil
Global Moderator

Postby Naeadil » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:50 pm

It's not horrible though. Aircraft do have maximum altitudes irl, it's good to have some variance in game where certain areas are higher/lower than others. Not every place irl would be the same either.
- Nick
FateJH

Postby FateJH » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:27 pm

p0intman wrote:So unless we're beefing up the overall size of all continents, I really don't see this as a problem. What I WOULD like to see is raising the flight ceiling above 400m. This might require making the entire thing a 64 bit game instead of 32 bit, but there you go.

I know we might not have the best programming in the gaming industry but I don't think we're so bad at it that we need to double the size of our memory addresses to compensate. :lol:

Let's give a quick talk about the game space. Nearly everything I've been able to find in the game is in the positive region of the up-axis (Y), in the positive W-E-axis (X), and the negative N-S-axis (Z). In terms of 3D space, everything is situated above the XZ plane of the relatively isometric figure below like so. That's the continent and the surrounding water before the kill regions as bounded by the map's grid within that quadrant octant.
It stands to reason that Y=0 is either the bottom of the ocean somewhere or just a few unit below the lowest point in the ocean for all continents. That suggests those few mountains in the game that you can't fly over might have been intentionally designed that way or left that way. The only time this is a significant issue, however, is Searhus with its massive crater.
Last edited by FateJH on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0
Naeadil
Global Moderator

Postby Naeadil » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm not 100% sure but I always thought Searhus may have been the first continent made. Which could explain for this problem. However, as you said, it's also reasonable that it was a design decision.
- Nick
Ryathorz

Postby Ryathorz » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Sulferix wrote:So here's my thought on the flight ceiling- increase it so that aircraft have a place where aa is impossible on every map. This would allow tactical gameplay when approaching an attack run or galaxy drop.
Wouldn't most aircraft (other than ground attack like reavers) always fly at this altitude, making AA irrelevant?
docdic

Postby docdic » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Ryathorz wrote:
Sulferix wrote:So here's my thought on the flight ceiling- increase it so that aircraft have a place where aa is impossible on every map. This would allow tactical gameplay when approaching an attack run or galaxy drop.
Wouldn't most aircraft (other than ground attack like reavers) always fly at this altitude, making AA irrelevant?

Yeah i would see that the only real way to take out aircraft is with long range SAM units.
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:56 pm

FateJH wrote:
p0intman wrote:So unless we're beefing up the overall size of all continents, I really don't see this as a problem. What I WOULD like to see is raising the flight ceiling above 400m. This might require making the entire thing a 64 bit game instead of 32 bit, but there you go.

I know we might not have the best programming in the gaming industry but I don't think we're so bad at it that we need to double the size of our memory addresses to compensate. :lol:

Let's give a quick talk about the game space. Nearly everything I've been able to find in the game is in the positive region of the up-axis (Y), in the positive W-E-axis (X), and the negative N-S-axis (Z). In terms of 3D space, everything is situated above the XZ plane of the relatively isometric figure below like so. That's the continent and the surrounding water before the kill regions as bounded by the map's grid within that quadrant.
It stands to reason that Y=0 is either the bottom of the ocean somewhere or just a few unit below the lowest point in the ocean for all continents. That suggests those few mountains in the game that you can't fly over might have been intentionally designed that way or left that way. The only time this is a significant issue, however, is Searhus with its massive crater.

So that would just mean that we need to centralize the axis on the continents. That's a lot of wasted space, especially since most large world map games have the center @(0, 0, 0).
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Ryathorz wrote:

Well they wouldn't be able to attack from that range either, and it would force pilots to go up there and use their skills against galaxies and other attack craft. Essentially it would make a space available for dogfighting.

Return to “Ideas”