Balance Discussion Thread

What features would you like to see in PSForever?
Pollo Jack

Re: Balance Discussion Thread

Postby Pollo Jack » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Don't buff aircraft speeds. It is easy enough to get a high k/d with just a mossie. Flight ceiling might be interesting, but the countermeasures must be buffed too. Perhaps the bigger aircraft stall at such altitudes too.
KingFeraligatr

Postby KingFeraligatr » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:19 pm

May I ask why people hate the wasp, barring the obvious Cyssor bug? Granted I'm not a pilot and never really have driven against the thing or fought it, but things that make Reavers pissed is a good thing to me. If anyone can tell me why the Wasps are so bad to me, please enlighten me.

Also, we need to do something about the Wasp's, Reaver's, and Mossie's ability to farm infantry and camp doors to the degree that that do. Heck, making the Mossie and Reaver no longer the go to aircraft would be good. Also making the Reaver only able to demolish vehicles (instead of everything) and making the thing be true glass cannon would be appreciated. The thing is monstrously overpowered for a single seater.
The King of Feraligatrs and the Typo Master.
BR 30, CR 3 NC, Gemini
RIP PS1. Long live PSForever.
Pollo Jack

Postby Pollo Jack » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:50 am

KingFeraligatr wrote:May I ask why people hate the wasp, barring the obvious Cyssor bug? Granted I'm not a pilot and never really have driven against the thing or fought it, but things that make Reavers pissed is a good thing to me. If anyone can tell me why the Wasps are so bad to me, please enlighten me.

Also, we need to do something about the Wasp's, Reaver's, and Mossie's ability to farm infantry and camp doors to the degree that that do. Heck, making the Mossie and Reaver no longer the go to aircraft would be good. Also making the Reaver only able to demolish vehicles (instead of everything) and making the thing be true glass cannon would be appreciated. The thing is monstrously overpowered for a single seater.

While it is true AA was needed, it was needed for ground vehicles and infantry not air. If it is your last base on the cont you can't very well grab a wasp to remove air. What shuld have been done is remove the tech plant requirement for the skyguard and give it enough armor to survive a rocket salvo from a reaver. True, landing every rocket isn't easy but there is no reason you can't throw some chaingun in there before or after the flyby. Typically ground vehicles weren't running around with full armor because they had few safe places to repair in addition to taking a while to get there.

The wasp not only didn't help ground forces it also ruined dog fighting. It had a huge lock on range when introduced, which funnily enough happened again in PS2 when A2A missiles were introduced. It was just a new cancer on a dieing game.

The air game needs some balance but I think buffing the skyguard and the infantry flak cannon would be a better way to go. Infantry could push out from heavy air with some flak cannons, god knows MAX units just get wrecked. TR burster was good in this respect, didn't need LoS but others got wrecked.
FateJH

Postby FateJH » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:24 am

Pollo Jack wrote:The air game needs some balance but I think buffing the skyguard and the infantry flak cannon would be a better way to go. Infantry could push out from heavy air with some flak cannons, god knows MAX units just get wrecked. TR burster was good in this respect, didn't need LoS but others got wrecked.

Infantry do have flak cannons called the Rocklet Rifle (with Fragmentation Pack, though actual Rocklets aren't bad if you can hit with them either) and multiple people using them would probably help Infantry to push out ... "I just feel like the only person ever using them." That's my impression. While I've seen people use the rocklets against Infantry, I think I've yet to see anyone save myself use one against an aircraft.

In the case of AA MAXes, it's more of a case that, if the Reaver can turn to face at least one of them, it doesn't matter how much of a drop it might have gotten on the Reaver, that MAX is as good as dead.
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0
Pollo Jack

Postby Pollo Jack » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:48 pm

FateJH wrote:Infantry do have flak cannons called the Rocklet Rifle (with Fragmentation Pack, though actual Rocklets aren't bad if you can hit with them either) and multiple people using them would probably help Infantry to push out ... "I just feel like the only person ever using them." That's my impression. While I've seen people use the rocklets against Infantry, I think I've yet to see anyone save myself use one against an aircraft.

In the case of AA MAXes, it's more of a case that, if the Reaver can turn to face at least one of them, it doesn't matter how much of a drop it might have gotten on the Reaver, that MAX is as good as dead.

I know they have the rocklet rifle, it isn't used because it is garbage versus air. Any AA MAX trying to push out from inside a base has to face rocket pod splash while 2 of 3 AA MAXes require LoS to even fire. Basically, the door is death for MAX units.
Ryathorz

Postby Ryathorz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:08 pm

FateJH wrote:In the case of AA MAXes, it's more of a case that, if the Reaver can turn to face at least one of them, it doesn't matter how much of a drop it might have gotten on the Reaver, that MAX is as good as dead.
It's not quite that bad, the problem for AA maxes tended to be when the aircraft either turbo-boosted off and then came in behind them or when the pilot just bailed out and shot them.

Or when they flew in so close that they had a guarenteed kill - either with their rockets or with the explosion when they died. They'd be back with another aircraft 30 seconds later while the max would be slogging it in on foot for 5 minutes.
FateJH

Postby FateJH » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:26 am

Ryathorz wrote:It's not quite that bad, the problem for AA maxes tended to be when the aircraft either turbo-boosted off and then came in behind them or when the pilot just bailed out and shot them.

News to me. My experiences have been being face-planted by Reavers even after they were initially interested in other things and only learned about me because I had the gall to open fire on them.
Unless I have the Enhanced Targeting to judge mop-up work, I only engage Mosquitos, Wasps, and Lodestars these days.
Pollo Jack wrote:I know they have the rocklet rifle, it isn't used because it is garbage versus air.

Is this one of the rare cases where players call it garbage because one person can't do it alone? (That's why I said "multiple people using them.")
Ryathorz

Postby Ryathorz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 am

FateJH wrote:News to me. My experiences have been being face-planted by Reavers even after they were initially interested in other things and only learned about me because I had the gall to open fire on them.
When there were more players around flyers tended to be more twitchy and would usually hit boost when locked up or hit by flak.

VS maxes can jump most of the opening salvo if they see the reaver moving in though, and are a bitch to hit in trees. The comet seems to have lost some of its damage (stacking plasma burn) since daylight took over but could also fend off the smaller aircraft.

FateJH wrote:Is this one of the rare cases where players call it garbage because one person can't do it alone? (That's why I said "multiple people using them.")
It's also setup requirements - to blow a reaver away in a salvo you'll want about five guys all together with the weapon either loaded and ready or with enough time to switch to it and switch ammo types around from rocklets to flaklets.

It has that high initial burst damage compared to the HA weapons but only if you have all your ducks in a line, and barging out of a tower door in a big group against a siege tended to get you prowlered/vanguarded/thunderered.
Pollo Jack

Postby Pollo Jack » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:44 am

FateJH wrote:Is this one of the rare cases where players call it garbage because one person can't do it alone? (That's why I said "multiple people using them.")

Those aren't rare. I'll leave it at this, if the flaklet takes more than two clips to kill a reaver or leave it at a sliver of health it needs a buff. If I remember correctly even two clips wont kill a mossie. Three players being required to overcome one is a bit excessive.

I must stress I am arguing for infantry/MAX units pushing out of bases not in the open.
FateJH

Postby FateJH » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Pollo Jack wrote:Those aren't rare. I'll leave it at this, if the flaklet takes more than two clips to kill a reaver or leave it at a sliver of health it needs a buff. If I remember correctly even two clips wont kill a mossie.

Without v.shields, a Mosquito is dead within three drums. With, four drums, I think.
A Reaver would normally have died within the same STK prior to its unnecessary armor buff from what I have heard.
Three players being required to overcome one is a bit excessive.

A traditional armor piece can also be a pain for one player, even with AV.
Perhaps we need could do with some sort of straight-fire Jammer that handles like a Decimator (in terms of limiting uses).

Return to “Ideas”