Game Server Architecture

Research & development for the PSForever architecture.
Chord
Site Admin

Re: Game Server Architecture

Postby Chord » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:52 am

Sulferix wrote:
Chord wrote:If you know Java, you're going to love Scala. Scala runs on the same runtime as Java - the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). This means all of my Scala code is immediately portable to any platform. It also means that I can use any Java library in Scala and vice-versa. Pretty neat, huh?

Scala has a lot more syntax quirks to learn than Java, but many help you write clean code. It also has a really complicated, Haskell-like type system, which is where it gets a lot of power, but a lot of complexity as well. It's all about the tradeoffs.

Very neat indeed. Can't wait too use it. Glad I can help in way I know how without having to learn too much. But ya if we can utilize it's lower while retaining the features and even improving upon the live servers, that would be ideal.

I also have a question. Since PlanetSide is an online only game with almost no pve aspects at all, does that make emulation easier? And if so, what seems like a reasonable amount of time to get this thing to perfect running condition? I feel like I can help immensely down the road, and I envision myself having no life when we near release lol. Just hope it doesn't end up taking ten years, like some emulation projects.

It's definitely going to be an improvement!

This game is very easy compared to SWG, WoW, EVE, Shadowbane etc in my opinion. It's more an FPS than an MMO. There are nearly no items, no quests, no monsters, no drop rates, and no triggers. I can't imagine doing an MMO emulator...writing the server would be one thing, but getting all of the content would be insanely hard. We don't have to worry about that thankfully. In terms of a timeline, I really can't say at this point. It definitely won't be a decade though. I want to finish this as quick as I can without forgetting about everything else going on.
[ PSForever admin and developer ]
PSForever Code | Capturing Packets | Community Discord
p0intman

Postby p0intman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:56 am

Hugely informative, thank you.
ImageImage
Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Chord wrote:
Sulferix wrote:
Chord wrote:If you know Java, you're going to love Scala. Scala runs on the same runtime as Java - the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). This means all of my Scala code is immediately portable to any platform. It also means that I can use any Java library in Scala and vice-versa. Pretty neat, huh?

Scala has a lot more syntax quirks to learn than Java, but many help you write clean code. It also has a really complicated, Haskell-like type system, which is where it gets a lot of power, but a lot of complexity as well. It's all about the tradeoffs.

Very neat indeed. Can't wait too use it. Glad I can help in way I know how without having to learn too much. But ya if we can utilize it's lower while retaining the features and even improving upon the live servers, that would be ideal.

I also have a question. Since PlanetSide is an online only game with almost no pve aspects at all, does that make emulation easier? And if so, what seems like a reasonable amount of time to get this thing to perfect running condition? I feel like I can help immensely down the road, and I envision myself having no life when we near release lol. Just hope it doesn't end up taking ten years, like some emulation projects.

It's definitely going to be an improvement!

This game is very easy compared to SWG, WoW, EVE, Shadowbane etc in my opinion. It's more an FPS than an MMO. There are nearly no items, no quests, no monsters, no drop rates, and no triggers. I can't imagine doing an MMO emulator...writing the server would be one thing, but getting all of the content would be insanely hard. We don't have to worry about that thankfully. In terms of a timeline, I really can't say at this point. It definitely won't be a decade though. I want to finish this as quick as I can without forgetting about everything else going on.

Kinda what I thought too. It's great that this game is so simple yet so perfect at the same time.
The Ultimate Annihilation of Hackers Is Inevitable
KingFeraligatr

Postby KingFeraligatr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:04 am

Sulferix wrote:Kinda what I thought too. It's great that this game is so simple yet so perfect at the same time.

I would call this game far from perfect --- it needs tons of work to be anything but a build for a very early beta game.
The King of Feraligatrs and the Typo Master.
BR 30, CR 3 NC, Gemini
RIP PS1. Long live PSForever.
Sulferix

Postby Sulferix » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:36 am

KingFeraligatr wrote:
Sulferix wrote:Kinda what I thought too. It's great that this game is so simple yet so perfect at the same time.

I would call this game far from perfect --- it needs tons of work to be anything but a build for a very early beta game.

Well that's your opinion. It's definitely aged, and nothing is perfect, and there needs to be balance changes, plus bugs smashed. The poor game has seen many years without some love, and it needs some badly.
The Ultimate Annihilation of Hackers Is Inevitable
shinything

Postby shinything » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Scala & Akka is a good choice -- coming from the Erlang world, it's not quite as nice as Erlang/Elixir, but you get a lot of the benefits while keeping a more Java-like syntax.

You might enjoy this talk given by one of my former employees at IBM on writing a game server using Erlang. It's a bit basic but it covers the "massively multiplayer" piece very well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiBvOGP-GNg

Return to “R & D”