Bug Report for PS1GameLogger

PSForever tooling such DLLs, launchers, loggers, etc.
FateJH

Bug Report for PS1GameLogger

Postby FateJH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:14 pm

I wish to log a start-up error report. Unfortunately, I can't provide you the log file generated by the application that was requested because the application would not start up in the first place, so the best I can do is explain what happens and what attempts I have taken at issue resolution. I can offer you the dump files created when the application failed to start but I am not sure how useful they would be for you.

I downloaded and extracted the application PSCap.exe, keeping it in the same folder as its accompanying pslog.dll file. The general bad behavior is that the application tries to initialize but fails at some point. Running the application causes it to spend some time trying to start - computer does "progress bar" "I am thinking" - but it eventually produces two error boxes. The first is the standard program has stopped working dialog box. The other dialog box asks whether I wish to submit infomation about the problem (to Microsoft probably) and checking the details reveals the temp files and the dump file that was produced. Running the application with the permission "Run as Administrator" causes the program to silently fail, and probably sends the dump files (to Microsoft) without my prompting.

I have attempted to re-extract the application, then re-download the application, both without success.

I moved the installation folder from the same directory path as the PlanetSide Classic install folder to an unrelated path but that did not help.

I have repaired the .Net Client Profile but that did not help.

I uninstalled and then re-installed the whole of the .Net Framework 4 Extended but that did not help.

I attempted options with the "Troubleshoot Compatibility" menu option but, as that can only attempt reverse compatibility, and the original application was tested for Windows 10, that did not help.

My computer is operating Windows 7 64-bits with what is probably the most up-to-date .Net Framekwork available for it now. If I can play PlanetSide Classic at all RAM can't be an issue. For the brief period that the logger exists as a process in the Task Manager, I note that it operates in 32-bit compatibility mode. The GameLauncher, which starts-up works and closes smoothly, does not do have to do this.
VS: FateJH, BR 21 CR 0 TR: FJH, BR 18 CR 1 NC: FateJHNC, BR 14 CR 0
FateJH

Re: Bug Report for PS1GameLogger

Postby FateJH » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:26 pm

The problem has passed.

In an attempt to get better results, so as not to post about errors empty-handed, I decided to debug the running application using a tool called .Net Reflector. At the very least, I might get something that indicated where the previous error I was getting was occurring or some message that discussed its nature. (I would never decompile someone else's program without permission, I swear.) In the process, I updated my whole Visual Studio because it was old. I used the Reflector to attach to the application and the program seemed to run silently though it, of course, did nothing. I found a log file in the folder of the executable afterwards ("PSGameLogger0_log") and, upon running the executable, the packet logger opens and operates correctly. I have no clue what the original problem was but it is no longer an issue.

I don't know whether updating a development environment was the solution or whether running a process debugger on the executable was the solution. Whichever is less unbelieveable, I guess.
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:16 am

FateJH wrote:The problem has passed.

In an attempt to get better results, so as not to post about errors empty-handed, I decided to debug the running application using a tool called .Net Reflector. At the very least, I might get something that indicated where the previous error I was getting was occurring or some message that discussed its nature. (I would never decompile someone else's program without permission, I swear.) In the process, I updated my whole Visual Studio because it was old. I used the Reflector to attach to the application and the program seemed to run silently though it, of course, did nothing. I found a log file in the folder of the executable afterwards ("PSGameLogger0_log") and, upon running the executable, the packet logger opens and operates correctly. I have no clue what the original problem was but it is no longer an issue.

I don't know whether updating a development environment was the solution or whether running a process debugger on the executable was the solution. Whichever is less unbelieveable, I guess.

Glad you were able to resolve the problem on your own. I wish we were able to figure out why it failed in the first place.
I should probably test on a Windows 7 system to see if it works. I should also give a link to the .NET 4.0 Client Profile which I target for my C# application.

Nice job running it under the IDE and using .NET Reflector. No need to worry about decompiling my code either. I encourage it! (plus this code will eventually be open sourced for transparency)

Done any logging?
[ PSForever admin and developer ]
PSForever Code | Capturing Packets | Community Discord
FateJH

Postby FateJH » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:41 pm

Chord wrote:Glad you were able to resolve the problem on your own. I wish we were able to figure out why it failed in the first place.
I should probably test on a Windows 7 system to see if it works. I should also give a link to the .NET 4.0 Client Profile which I target for my C# application.

Nice job running it under the IDE and using .NET Reflector. No need to worry about decompiling my code either. I encourage it! (plus this code will eventually be open sourced for transparency)

Done any logging?

A lot of preliminary, basic stuff so far. I know you said "avoid basic stuff" but I think building a baseline is important. The biggest nuisance is avoiding packet clutter from the events that you are not trying to capture.

The most fantastic thing I've grabbed are the events of getting each of the continental monolith's and earning the Explorer Merit, but even those are pretty basic. It made me start thinking how we're going to handle object and event IDs for things that are exceptionally uncommon, such as earning Merits. I'm putting together a workflow for isolating inventory manipulations (that should generate packets) and consider how I'm going to approach logging the tutorials (I hope the tutorials are clientside, except for a packet that says "Done") and how character creation transfers information.

I hope next weekend's PlanetSide Day nets the Oshur meteor shower.
hoanCN

Postby hoanCN » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:27 am

I have that problem too
Chord
Site Admin

Postby Chord » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:23 am

hoanCN wrote:I have that problem too

Have you resolved the issue?
[ PSForever admin and developer ]